May 30, 2012

Feeling Blue

photograph by Nupur

My  blog , seems to be pretty selfish in nature, but aren't all humans of the similar nature, except of course a few enlightened humans. Who have or maybe  try hard to conquer the idea of "SELF".

Seems impossible to be. So when people tell me that they are more concerned about me, my well being. I don't believe them. Anyways I was here to tell you a few things about my new life in Cambodia.
I kind of  realized that I will be living in this country for a longer period of time that I had thought. I would have preferred living in a colder place in a warmer home. It seemed to be quite the opposite. Me and my husband take turns to jump in bath after every couple of hours to cool ourselves. There is noway you can put a stole around your neck, never invest in light cute jackets.

Wear shorts, shorts, shorts and shorts. Cotton is the magic fabric that will keep you feeling comfortable.
The place is never cool, not even in December. Its hot throughout.
Its a good  for a month long vacation if you live in the hills and think you will get a warm break. But for a person who lives here, sometimes quivers for a cold night, warm quilts, hot chocolate in the bed.

Cambodia, is poor, but people in general, never look sad, or frustrated. I have come across a lot of local people working in a run-down market area. As James says, "poverty has a whole new meaning in those few market areas". The place where you will find such a market is called Poipet.Its on the border of Thailand and Cambodia.
 You need to see it to believe it. The monthly income of a regular Cambodian is between $30-40.
But then there is another side to it. The people are still not as annoyed and frustrated as they should be or as I believe they should be , with their conditions. No sanitation, no proper place to live, no schools for children. no medical facility. There seems to be a see of possible problems and despair.
But then I remember being in Brighton in  England, in a nice big house, with people well dressed, warm and healthy. And for as long I was there at their place ( I was there for lunch and tea) they all seemed unhappy, not satisfied, and wanted more money at work, more free services from the government.  ( not to forget that they have free medical services, free education for children, help for people who are unemployed)

I can come to a conclusion that money is not the basis for happiness. But again I might have to contradict my own intellect here. Lets face it, Cambodia is not an expensive place at all. for less than a dollar you can buy yourself hearty amount of rice and meat for a meal. London on the other hand is one of the world's most expensive cities. Even a small bottle cost around 1pound and 30 p's.

Its not what the eyes sees, its what the mind watches. Rich, poor, are just terms created by the mind. Satisfied and discontent are the sure sign we should be looking out for.
Are we happy and satisfied with what we have. Do we feel content with our life style. Making it better is not a bad idea. But continued conversation about how unhappy, or unsatisfied one is , will never do any good to anyone.


Nupz™ Vagrant in a Big City...









No comments: